Early Care and Education Wrap-around Services Grants, Round III
The Northland Foundation is continuing its partnership with the Minnesota Department of Education on behalf of the Governor’s Emergency Education Relief (GEER) Fund. This special grant program will help fund emergency wrap-around early care and education services for northeastern Minnesota children ages 0-8 from under-served populations impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic . Eligible organizations may apply for one of two funding levels, (1) up to $5,000 or (2) $5,001 to $10,000. Grantees will be selected on a competitive basis. Priority will be given to organizations that have not received an award in either of the previous two rounds. A fourth round is planned for January 2022 with a similar funding pool.
Applications will be accepted May 12, 2021 through June 11, 2021 and notifications of a decision made by June 28, 2021. Projects should be completed between July 1, 2021 and June 30, 2022 and support the following types of services:
- Mental health services and supports
- Social, emotional, and physical health supports
- Supplemental after-school programs
- Summer learning or enrichment programs
- On-line/distance learning programs
- Training and development to more effectively operate during the pandemic and address the needs of young children 0-8
- Other activities that are necessary to maintain the operation of and continuity of services in early care and education prioritizing the needs of historically under-served groups.
For questions about grant criteria and eligibility, contact Lynn Haglin, Vice President/KIDS PLUS Director or Zane Bail, Director of Development and Special Projects. For questions about the special grant portal, contact Carol Chipman, Grants Manager.
Please read the RFP carefully before applying for the complete details on applicant eligibility and types of projects that will be considered for funding.
- Request for Proposals (RFP) - pdf
- Narrative Questions - Word doc and Narrative Questions - pdf
- Budget Form - Word doc and Budget Form - pdf
General Northland Foundation Grants Information
Organizations that are applying for a Small Grant ($5,000 and under) or Large Grant (over $5,000) are encouraged to first contact Erik Torch, Director of Grantmaking, (218) 723-4040 or 1-800-433-4045 to discuss their project idea. Organizations applying for grants will use a web-based portal for these two grant categories. Note: the portal entry point and application process are different, depending on the dollar amount requested.
For questions about the Grant Portal, contact Carol Chipman, Grants Manager, or call the (218) 723-4040 or 1-800-433-4045. The most current version of Google Chrome is the recommended web browser for best results using the portal. You may download Chrome here.
Those applying for a Youth In Philanthropy Grant must fill out a special application form, below, instead of using the portal.
Small Grant Application Process (for requests of $5,000 or less)
To initiate a new grant request for $5,000 or less, click on the Small Grants Portal link below.
Small Grant requests are reviewed within a month of each quarterly deadline. Applicants are notified of funding decisions by email. Submission deadlines are: January 1, April 1, July 1, and October 1. If the deadline falls on a weekend or holiday, applications are due by the end of the next business day.
Large Grant Application Process (for requests of more than $5,000)
The application process for grants more than $5,000 is a 3-step process and may take up to 90 days for a final decision.
- Submit an Inquiry using the portal link, below. Deadlines to submit inquiries are: January 1, April 1, July 1, and October 1. If the deadline falls on a weekend or holiday, inquiries are due by the end of the next business day. Inquiries are reviewed by Northland staff to determine if the request fits within the Foundation’s grantmaking priority areas of interest and are reviewed within approximately 3 weeks of each quarterly deadline. You will be notified shortly after by email of our decision.
- If your initial inquiry is approved to move forward, you will be invited to submit a Full Proposal that will be due within 3 weeks after receiving the invitation.
- Northland staff review the Full Proposal and conduct a site visit, with final decisions made by the last week of each quarter. You will be notified by email of our decision.
Continue with a Grant Request Already In Progress or Manage/Report on an Existing Grant
Please login using the Manage Grants & Reporting link, below, to:
- continue working on a grant request that you have begun but not yet completed, or
- complete reporting requirements for a grant already awarded.
Maada'ookiing Indigenous-led Grassroots Grants
To apply for a Maada'ookiing Grant, please go to the Maada'ookiing Grant Details & Apply page on our website.
Youth In Philanthropy Grant Application Process
The KIDS PLUS Youth In Philanthropy Board invites young people in Aitkin, Carlton, Cook, Itasca, Koochiching, Lake, and St. Louis Counties, as well as in Superior, Wisconsin, to request a grant of up to $1,000. The project and grant application must be planned, written, and carried out by young people, with the support of an adult advisor, to benefit schools, youth-serving organizations, and communities.
The Youth In Philanthropy Board meets three times per year. To have your grant proposal considered at the Fall, Winter, or Spring meeting, you must submit your application by October 1, January 1, and April 1. Please review the Grant Information and Checklist before applying.
There are two ways to access the grant application and final report form for Youth In Philanthropy grants: Microsoft Word or Adobe Acrobat. If you need to, you can download Adobe Acrobat here. If you have questions about the Application, contact Jan Amys, Program Associate. If you have questions about the Final Report Form, contact Carol Chipman, Grants Manager, or call (218) 723-4040 or 1-800-433-4045.
Youth In Philanthropy Grant Application
- Microsoft Word Youth In Philanthropy Grant Application
- Adobe PDF Youth In Philanthropy Grant Application
Youth In Philanthropy Final Report Form