Quarterly Grants Application Information
The Northland Foundation accepts grant applications from nonprofit 501(c)3 organizations and government entities such as school districts and Tribal Nations. Grants of $10,000 and up are awarded four times per year. Outside of these quarterly grants, we also award smaller grants through our Maada’ookiing and Youth In Philanthropy programs and, from time to time, offer other special grant opportunities.
Before applying for a quarterly grant, especially if we have not worked with you in the past, please reach out to discuss your ideas to determine if it’s a good fit for an application. Send a brief email to firstname.lastname@example.org that includes 1. organization name, 2. brief description of activities to be supported, 3. communities to be served, and 4. amount of anticipated request.
Applications are submitted using our web-based grants portal. Those that meet eligibility criteria are reviewed by our grant committee, which meets within a few weeks following the quarterly deadlines. Applications that move forward after committee review will receive a site visit. Those that do not move on will be notified after the committee meets. Awarded grants are finalized around 90 days after each deadline.
- Visit the Grant Priorities web page for guidelines on what we do and do not fund and the strategic approaches we encourage.
- The minimum quarterly grant amount is $10,000.
- Application deadlines are January 5, April 1, July 1, and October 1.
- Most grants are general operating support but some are program-restricted (see Grant Priorities).
- You can review the application questions ahead of time as a Word doc or pdf.
- For questions about using the portal, email Carol Chipman, Grants Manager, or call her at (218) 740-7309.
- Youth In Philanthropy Grants and Maada'ookiing Grants have special application forms and different deadlines (details below).
- The most current version of Google Chrome is the recommended web browser for best results. You may download Chrome here.
Report on an Existing Grant
The most current version of Google Chrome is the recommended web browser for best results. You may download Chrome here.
Maada'ookiing Indigenous-led Grassroots Grants
Maada'ookiing application deadlines are the 15th of February, May, and September. Learn about the grant opportunity and find application details and links on the Maada'ookiing Grant Details & Apply page.
Youth In Philanthropy Grant Application Process
The KIDS PLUS Youth In Philanthropy Board invites young people in our service area, as well as in Superior, Wisconsin, to request a grant of up to $1,000. The project and grant application must be planned, written, and carried out by young people, with the support of an adult advisor, to benefit schools, youth-serving organizations, and communities.
The Youth In Philanthropy Board meets three times per year. To have your grant proposal considered at the Fall, Winter, or Spring meeting, you must submit your application by the 1st of January, April, or October. Please review the Grant Information and Checklist before applying.
There are two ways to access the grant application and final report form for Youth In Philanthropy grants: Microsoft Word or Adobe Acrobat. If you need to, you can download Adobe Acrobat here. If you have questions about the Application, contact Jan Amys, Program Associate. If you have questions about the Final Report Form, contact Carol Chipman, Grants Manager, or call her at (218) 740-7309.
Youth In Philanthropy Grant Application
- Microsoft Word Youth In Philanthropy Grant Application
- Adobe PDF Youth In Philanthropy Grant Application
Youth In Philanthropy Final Report Form