Important COVID-19 Grant Program Update
The Northland Foundation is suspending its grant program for the April 1st grant round. All funding will be utilized to support direct aid to the most vulnerable populations impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic in northeast Minnesota.
We are hopeful that we can resume our normal grantmaking process for our July 1st grant round. Should we need to delay further we will provide updates via web and email. For organizations that have already submitted requests, it is our intention to review these in our next round. Please contact Erik Torch, Director of Grantmaking, with any questions.
Organizations that are applying for a Small Grant ($5,000 and under) or Large Grant (over $5,000) are encouraged to first contact Erik Torch, Director of Grantmaking, (218) 723-4040 or 1-800-433-4045 to discuss their project idea. Organizations applying for grants will use a web-based portal for these two grant categories. Note: the portal entry point and application process are different, depending on the dollar amount requested.
For questions about the Grant Portal, contact Carol Chipman, Grants Manager, or call the (218) 723-4040 or 1-800-433-4045. The most current version of Google Chrome is the recommended web browser for best results using the portal. You may download Chrome here.
Those applying for a Youth In Philanthropy Grant must fill out a special application form, below, instead of using the portal.
Small Grant Application Process (for requests of $5,000 or less)
To initiate a new grant request for $5,000 or less, click on the Small Grants Portal link below.
Small Grant requests are reviewed within a month of each quarterly deadline. Applicants are notified of funding decisions by email. Submission deadlines are: January 1, April 1, July 1, and October 1. If the deadline falls on a weekend or holiday, applications are due by the end of the next business day.
Large Grant Application Process (for requests of more than $5,000)
The application process for grants more than $5,000 is a 3-step process and may take up to 90 days for a final decision.
- Submit an Inquiry using the portal link, below. Deadlines to submit inquiries are: January 1, April 1, July 1, and October 1. If the deadline falls on a weekend or holiday, inquiries are due by the end of the next business day. Inquiries are reviewed by Northland staff to determine if the request fits within the Foundation’s grantmaking priority areas of interest and are reviewed within approximately 3 weeks of each quarterly deadline. You will be notified shortly after by email of our decision.
- If your initial inquiry is approved to move forward, you will be invited to submit a Full Proposal that will be due within 3 weeks after receiving the invitation.
- Northland staff review the Full Proposal and conduct a site visit, with final decisions made by the last week of each quarter. You will be notified by email of our decision.
Continue with a Grant Request Already In Progress or Manage/Report on an Existing Grant
Please login using the Manage Grants & Reporting link, below, to:
- continue working on a grant request that you have begun but not yet completed, or
- complete reporting requirements for a grant already awarded.
Youth In Philanthropy Grant Application Process
The KIDS PLUS Youth In Philanthropy Board invites young people in Aitkin, Carlton, Cook, Itasca, Koochiching, Lake, and St. Louis Counties, as well as in Superior, Wisconsin, to request a grant of up to $1,000. The project and grant application must be planned, written, and carried out by young people, with the support of an adult advisor, to benefit schools, youth-serving organizations, and communities.
The Youth In Philanthropy Board meets three times per year. To have your grant proposal considered at the Fall, Winter, or Spring meeting, you must submit your application by October 1, January 1, and April 1. Please review the Grant Information and Checklist before applying.
There are two ways to access the grant application and final report form for Youth In Philanthropy grants: Microsoft Word or Adobe Acrobat. If you need to, you can download Adobe Acrobat here. If you have questions about the Application, contact Jan Amys, Program Associate. If you have questions about the Final Report Form, contact Carol Chipman, Grants Manager, or call (218) 723-4040 or 1-800-433-4045.
Youth In Philanthropy Grant Application
- Microsoft Word Youth In Philanthropy Grant Application
- Adobe PDF Youth In Philanthropy Grant Application
Youth In Philanthropy Final Report Form