The Northland Foundation serves the seven-county area of Aitkin, Carlton, Cook, Itasca, Koochiching,
Lake, and St. Louis Counties.
A Snapshot of the Northland
- 326,225 people make their home in northeastern Minnesota. This includes:
- 17,941 children under the age of five
- 48,510 children and youth ages 6-18
- 56,195 older adults (65 and over)
- There are 68 cities located within the seven-county
city of Duluth is the largest with a population of 86,918, followed
by Hibbing, Cloquet, and Virginia. The smallest city is
Tamarack with a population of 69.
- Northeastern Minnesota encompasses one-fourth
of Minnesota's land mass – 18,185 square miles – an area larger
than nine states in this country.
- There are 11 institutions of higher learning in the Northland.
- The major industry sectors in this region are:
Health, and Social Services
- Retail Trade
- Arts & Entertainment, Recreation,
- Agriculture, Forestry, Mining, Fishing and Hunting
- Nearly half of northeastern Minnesota's workforce is employed
in service or service-related industries.
- There are between 350 and 400 nonprofit organizations serving northeastern